Thursday, May 12, 2011

Don't Spring Break The Pottery Barn Knockoff Mirror

This past week I was on a break from work. We had spring break! Yeah! Chest pump! Only problem is during work breaks, I get bored to DEBT! They say idle hands are the devil's tools, I say my idle hands will usually either end up around someone's neck or full of shopping bags. LOL! Sometimes I'm like a loose canon and can cause a lot of damage.

So, I decided to start a little project that I had been meaning to do.  I made this:




This Pottery Barn mirror had me foaming at the mouth, but at the price of $199, it was a little steep for my beer budget. (Remember folks, I'm sending a kid to college in a year!) Quite a few bloggers attempted this knockoff with great results, so I thought, "Why not? I have a brain too."


I went to the dollar store and found 12 of these little mirrors. They didn't have them in black so I had to improvise.
In my attic I had this giant piece of MDF board that these mirrors fit onto with precision. All I had to do was cut the board in half and attach it in the middle.

Getting the panels glued together was a bit of rocket surgery, but I believe my solution was a sturdy one. I basically put wood glue on both edges and stapled down the whole seam to hold it all tight. This dried for 24 hours just to be safe. After it had dried I sanded it and painted it black. I painted the mirror frames black too.


To attach the mirrors, I had to use Gorilla Glue. For a minute I thought this project would be an epic fail because if you've ever worked with Gorilla Glue, you know that it expands and creates overflow issues. This didn't happen too much so crisis averted. (use less glue if you're attempting this) All in all this project came out better than pretty good, so I'm happy! Now where should this go?
I think I'll keep her.  I'm just not sure it should go here. 
Oh, I forgot to mention, this only cost $12.00!  Score!
Nydia 8)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I have wanted to knock off that mirror for a long time now and haven't been able to do it budget friendly, now I can. I am so going to the dollar store today! love it! Chris

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...